Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lilly999

PostSubject: Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now   Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:48 am

As if that weren't enough, he is still slowly losing weight despite eating as per normal & being supplemented with critical care. I hate the fact I can feel his protruding hip bones. Today he had a gurgly tummy for the first time. Electric toothbrush massages & gripe water got rid of it. The vet decided to see him today anyway & book his surgery. In his carrier we discovered one skinny wet poop & a small patch of diarrhoea. A swab under the microscope & the vet says he has yeast in his poop! Back on the pro-biotics for him. Cannot find any info on yeast in a piggy's GI tract. Why does PB always have to have something odd. I am so worried for this boy.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now   Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:28 am

I'm not sure about the yeast but when I've given probiotics such as Avipro Plus & Bio Lapis, the smell reminds me of the yeast I used when I was homebrewing & winemaking x
Back to top Go down
TheFurryGodmother

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now   Mon Dec 08, 2014 10:31 am

Oh bless him Sad
How much does he weigh?

I know how awful it is to see them with their bones protruding, Frank only weighed 634g yesterday and he's just a bag of bones, it's horrible. Going to see what I can do about feeding him up.

I hope the neutering goes well !

Not sure about the yeast, but from what I know about yeast, wouldn't that stem from a bacterial infection? Not sure.

Also, thinking on what stewart said, the probiotic I have for Frank for his stomach atm, stinks of yeast, so unless probiotic has it in there?

Hope his tummy is feeling better soon x
Back to top Go down
Lilly999

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now   Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:07 am

TheFurryGodmother wrote:
Oh bless him Sad
How much does he weigh?

I know how awful it is to see them with their bones protruding, Frank only weighed 634g yesterday and he's just a bag of bones, it's horrible. Going to see what I can do about feeding him up.

I hope the neutering goes well !

Not sure about the yeast, but from what I know about yeast, wouldn't that stem from a bacterial infection? Not sure.

Also, thinking on what stewart said, the probiotic I have for Frank for his stomach atm, stinks of yeast, so unless probiotic has it in there?

Hope his tummy is feeling better soon x
PB weighs 1.071kg. But considering he has kept a stable weight of 1.240kg for 3 years, it is a big weight loss. He was on pro-biotics a few weeks ago while on Baytril for a suspected UTI until his tests were completed. But the vet seemed to think yeast in his stool was bad & told me to put him back on pro-biotics to get his gut flora to a better balance. She told me to check the smell of his hay & muesli as she seemed to think it could be from food but it all smells fine & the other 3 boys are on the same hay & one other boy is on the same muesli. Will see what tomorrow's surgery & blood work results in.

Oh poor Frank! I am soooo sorry as I can imagine what you must be feeling. What is wrong with Frank?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now   

Back to top Go down

Peanut Butter is booked for his neuter 16 hours from now
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Health & Illness-
Jump to: