Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stewybus

PostSubject: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:01 pm

As a lot of you will know, Minky has been ill for over 2 months with head tilt which got worse 2 weeks ago & she couldn't eat. We've got her back on the way to recovery & she is presently being fed Critical Care & as much veggies as we can get down her.

The trouble is, when you try to hand feed her hay she grabs it and can't or won't put it in her mouth to eat in the normal way. If anyone else has experienced this can you please let me know how I can teach her to eat hay again.
Back to top Go down
flintstones

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:16 pm

Sorry Minky's problem's are still ongoing, I wouldn't rule out dental problem's especially as she has been off her food for sometime. Just keep encouraging her to eat but in the meantime continue to top her up.

Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:26 am

flintstones wrote:
Sorry Minky's problem's are still ongoing, I wouldn't rule out dental problem's especially as she has been off her food for sometime.  Just keep encouraging her to eat but in the meantime continue to top her up.  

She wasn't eating which appears to be connected with her head tilt, the lack of eating was a fairly sudden thing which is possibly the infection from the head hilt has caused. She had dental op 10 days ago, having front teeth cut straight & back teeth worked on but they werent too bad to start with. She's since been put on course of Zithromax & now wants to eat but can't manage hay with is essential to her diet. When I put in front of her she grabs it but drops it. I've tried putting in her mouth but she's still letting it go. She's been eating lettuce, cucumber, melon, carrot & parsley in small amounts.
Back to top Go down
bekki2308

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:55 am

Might be worth getting them checked again stewy, in terms of hamsters here 10 days is more than enough for dental problems to creep back in x
Back to top Go down
flintstones

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:06 am

I second Bekki, my Fred had a dental op he initially improved 2 days later he wouldn't eat anything we had to take him to the E-vet turns out he had a very nasty throat infection which was preventing him from eating he wanted to eat just couldn't swallow.

After his infection cleared he needed another dental, as his teeth had overgrown again.
Back to top Go down
jenniferanneharris

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:16 am

Hope Minky is feeling better soon x
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:51 am

bekki2308 wrote:
Might be worth getting them checked again stewy, in terms of hamsters here 10 days is more than enough for dental problems to creep back in x

flintstones wrote:
I second Bekki, my Fred had a dental op he initially improved 2 days later he wouldn't eat anything we had to take him to the E-vet turns out he had a very nasty throat infection which was preventing him from eating he wanted to eat just couldn't swallow.  

After his infection cleared he needed another dental, as his teeth had overgrown again.

Minky has another appointment on Thursday but her vet is away till then. I may ring Simon at Northampton & take her down there for a second opinion if I can get her seen before Thursday.

I've just given her her meds + 10ml of CC + water. She's also had food available & nibbled at lettuce, cucucumber & some carrot.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:24 pm

You are coping so well. I would have fallen to pieces.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:13 am

piggyfan wrote:
You are coping so well. I would have fallen to pieces.

At times I haven't been far off. I've just booked her in to see Simon at Northampton & I'm taking her on the nearly 3 hour journey on Wednesday morning. Hopefully there'll be a good outcome from the visit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:14 am

I wish you luck.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?   

Back to top Go down

Has anyone got tips on teaching a Guinea Pig to eat Hay again after an illness?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Health & Illness-
Jump to: