Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

cage size

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
avi123

PostSubject: cage size   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:42 pm

I'd like some advice on cage sizes please as we plan to bring our two piggies in soon. I was told 120 cm length but would 100cm be ok as we don't have the space otherwise? Also we've only had ours outdoors till now (they are babies) and I'd like to know how you manage them indoors please - do you let them run around and if so is wee an issue please?
Back to top Go down
sport_billy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi, No sorry they really need a 120cm, it makes all the difference..

You'll love having them indoors, as a run we put down a plastic sheet then a fleece or old curtain on top, then fence it in with grids that you make c&c cages with held together with cable ties.  Will post a photo tomorrow afternoon.

Welcome to the forum by the way, where you on TGPF?
Back to top Go down
avi123

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:56 pm

Thanks for your advice. I measured the space it could go in and it comes in at just under 120cm so I may have to go for the 100cm though am worried as they are only babies now - will they have enough room when they are fully grown? What does c&c mean btw?
I tried getting onto the TGPF forum but saw it was hacked so went onto Facebook
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 pm

I agree 100cm yes they fit in it but not much space once you have everything in it, sounds silly but the 20cm makes all the difference, rspca recommends a minimum cage size of 120cm and its for a reason. I have a foldaway play pen. Its made out of canvas and folds flat into a bag and has a removeable base so can be used inside and protect your floors or outside on grass. If you type in canvas guinea pig play pen on ebay its the type at the top Smile

A c&c is a cube storage system, its mesh grids that you can create into any shape you want and build levels again type C&C into google and will see loads of cages made with it Smile
Back to top Go down
Loutopia

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:34 am

Hiya I was advised by pets @h that a 100cm cage would be adequate when I got my two brothers, however this was when they were babies and I didn't realise back then how much they would grow! Once I had a wooden log roll in there and an igloo house with them there was hardly any room left so once they got bigger I went back to pets at home and invested in a 120cm cage. i think they do that on purpose to make you spend more money!! however over the summer I have moved them outside into a 5ft long hutch which is amazingly spacious, sadly one of my boys passed away and I have since got two little girlies to keep the remaining boy company. Over the winter when I bring them in I'm looking to invest in a c&c cage. But it's made of correx square grids with connectors that join it all together. There's a lovely website called just add pets that has a great pic of them. I'm trying to source the cheapest place that sells them and I'm going to get the largest I can, either the 5ft long or 6ft long. If you can move the space where your piggies will fit it will make all the difference to them having that bit of extra leg room! I promise when you have all the kit in the cage there won't be half as much as you thought there would be, I got a such a shock with mine lol! Or Maybe try the correx weebly webpage who also make the c&c cages, they come ready made and you just clip them together, they do a 4 ft by 2ft with a loft area and a ramp! You can get lovely fleece liners to go with it and it keeps the piggies all warm and clean :-) that way they can have the extra space above them? Just a thought x
Back to top Go down
theoretikos

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:52 am

If you can go onto amazon Grendle sell the grids for £47.50 - that would make a spacious two floor home for them or whatever you want really. The correx I got was from phs teacrates and came to less than £15 so managed to get a massive cage for less than £70.
I have managed to build a 4x2 for my boys and used the excess grids as barriers for certain parts of the room - they are free range in most of the house Smile I folded over some correx so that it is half as high as the rest of the base so that they have free access in and out of the cage.

the link http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pet-Cage-Run-Play-Pen/dp/B004SXSER6
Back to top Go down
avi123

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:17 am

Thanks for your helpful answers. silly question but in the pics I've seen these cages don't have a roof - our two are very good climbers. I'm not sure if that's just because they're little though.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: cage size   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:19 am

Guinea pigs don't climb, they stretch but won't climb over they are too clumsy Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cage size   

Back to top Go down

cage size
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Housing-
Jump to: