Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

How can I change this piggies Mind?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Superpiggies!

PostSubject: How can I change this piggies Mind?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey there,

My blind guinea pig, Woody, Is slowly getting over the normal weight. We have tried to excersise him (as he doesnt want to (maybe because he cant see where he is going?)) but he just doesn't move. I can't cut down on veggies as that's the same as cutting down on Vit C Neutral We will cut down totally on fruits though, as that's what the vets said that could be a part of the problem. What do you think I can do to stop him putting on weight?

Superpiggies
Back to top Go down
bubble&squeak4ever

PostSubject: Re: How can I change this piggies Mind?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:29 pm

Cutting down on his dry food (pellets/muesli whichever you feed) will help him loose weight. How much does he weigh? Also scatter feeding him (scattering his food/veggies around the cage) will make him move around more. Hope that helped x
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How can I change this piggies Mind?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:16 pm

How much does he weigh? Often vets seem to have an old fashioned idea of what piggies should weigh. They are all different.
Back to top Go down
Wiebke

PostSubject: Re: How can I change this piggies Mind?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:41 pm

You can balance his diet!

Up to 80% of the daily food intake should be unlimited hay.
50g/1 cupful of mixed veg per piggy per day, containing one high vitamin C veg like a slice of pepper of any colour; 1 sprig of fresh coriander/cilantro, parsley, dill, mint or basil, or a bit of broccoli (any part). Please vary between these. Only feed a small piece of fruit 2-3 times a week. Too much fruit and tomato can cause painful sores in mouth and on the lips.
Pellets (not muesli): reduce amount you feed if you worry that your piggy is overweight. Fully grown adults only need about half to one handful per piggy per day. Remember that good pellets also contain vitamin C.
Water: fresh daily, no additives, please. You can't control the intake and it only serves to promote the growth of algae. Most piggies will drink noticeably less.

Here is more information on diet: http://www.guinealynx.info/diet.html
Back to top Go down
Superpiggies!

PostSubject: Re: How can I change this piggies Mind?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:22 pm

Wow! This Really helped, Guys! Thank you ever so much! I have done a whole lot of research .. and came up with a balanced diet! This will include some Burgess Nuggets, some veggies full of Vit. C, 2 fruits for him (And Oskar) a week, and TONS of Hay! 'All you can eat hay!' -Says my dad- I will also add some burgess natural treats, such as Dandelion rolls (They Love them!)  And uhm, Woody's weight: 1.35 Kg He used to be, around 1.275 (He's put on some weight since he got blind!)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can I change this piggies Mind?   

Back to top Go down

How can I change this piggies Mind?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Behaviour-
Jump to: