Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

Smudge's recovery

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smudge

PostSubject: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:39 pm

Some of you may remember I posted on the proper forum a while back about Smudge.  Back in March this year, he suddenly lost the use of his back legs.  He was dragging himself around by his front legs and spending most of his time lying on his side.  

I didn't think he would recover and I was planning to make him a piggie wheelchair.  He had a couple of anti-inflammatory injections from the vet and I also gave him extra vitamin c every day. After about six weeks his legs slowly recovered till he could get around as well as before.  However, while his legs were out of action he developed a 'bedsore' on his side and this was not healing up and getting worse and worse as he kept biting it.

This is the sore at it's worst:

The vet tried antibiotic creams, more anti-inflammatorys and Invermectin for mites but nothing was working.  I realised that the only solution was to stop him from being able to bite the wound.  I tried buying a collar for rabbits but this did not work and so eventually I made my own for him, in Blue Peter style, cut from an old cereal box and covered with sticky backed plastic and then covered in felt and fastened with velcro.

This is him with his collar on with my daughter:

It has taken months for him to heal up but I am pleased to say he has finally recovered and yesterday I took the collar off for good.  It is great to see him running around freely again and being able to popcorn and jump up onto the upper level of his house.

Here is some comparison pics from May 2013 and September 2013:

a close up of the wound healed up:

Now I just have to hope that his hair around his neck that he lost from wearing the collar will eventually grow back. Very Happy 

Back to top Go down
flintstones

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Awesome, Well Done to you and Smudge. He's very lucky to have a dedicated slave like yourself. With any ongoing problem, it's always amazing when your efforts are finally rewarded there is nothing more satisfying.

Great pictures, I'm sure your thread will prove very useful for people in the future Smile!
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:14 pm

he is looking loads better, I know all about tricky piggies the head collar was genius Smile
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:31 pm

This is a great story of really doing something to help your piggy. You've done an amazing job of getting Smudge back to fitness.

I've got a much smaller problem with Minky at present. I useda old sock with holes cut out for her front legs but it's come off after 2 hours back in her run. I'm probably going to try putting some tape on her back feet to stop her scratching but I need to be able to cover her sore area at top of front leg (equivalent of a human armpit). I don't think Minky can lick it but her companions always try to help when one is having treatment eg biting stitches from post ops.

The collar idea was brilliant, I might have to try that myself. It looks the same principal as the ones you get for dogs to stop them biting at wounds or sores.
Back to top Go down
Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:25 pm

Thanks guys.  I hope this post will be helpful to others as well.  The collar is just like the type you get for dogs.

I tried putting a sock on Smudge too but he hated it and ran around the cage like a crazy horse till it came off - usually in about 30 seconds flat!!!

Back at the beginning I wasn't sure if Smudge was biting the wound or if he was scratching it or if it was getting worse because it was a fungal infection.    I kept him in a box next to me for a few hours and watched him and then I was able to see what he was doing and sure enough, he was biting at it.

I hope you can find a way to stop Minky from scratching.
Back to top Go down
helen105281

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:17 pm

Brilliant news well done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Oh what fantastic news. It goes to show what love can do. You were determined to get him better and you ensured he is well.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Smudge wrote:
Thanks guys.  I hope this post will be helpful to others as well.  The collar is just like the type you get for dogs.

I tried putting a sock on Smudge too but he hated it and ran around the cage like a crazy horse till it came off - usually in about 30 seconds flat!!!

Back at the beginning I wasn't sure if Smudge was biting the wound or if he was scratching it or if it was getting worse because it was a fungal infection.    I kept him in a box next to me for a few hours and watched him and then I was able to see what he was doing and sure enough, he was biting at it.

I hope you can find a way to stop Minky from scratching.
What I'm trying at present is keep her with me or a bowl of food after I've applied her cream. Then put her back with the others after about 2 hours when she's had all her meds. This way the cream will have soaked in & not be as much of a problem if it's licked. I'll check on her between 6 & 7 in the morning & if it looks like she's been scratching I'm going to try covering & taping her back feet. I don't think she'll like this but I may have to try again with a sock but do it different next time. If only she knew that I was just trying to help her!
Back to top Go down
jenniferanneharris

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:01 pm

Glad he is doing much better. Well done you! Sounds like its been a long tough road...so pleased he has recovered x well done x
Back to top Go down
Jesss

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:04 pm

Looking good Smile his healed up wound gives me positive thoughts because Maple's rump is on the mend. Love the cone brilliant idea!
Back to top Go down
funnehmare

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:09 am

Oh I'm so pleased he is doing so well!! Well done on the homemade cone front, it looks to have done the trick alright.
Back to top Go down
Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:24 am

Thanks again everyone.  Still feeling pleased to have a happy, healthy piggy again.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Smudge's recovery   

Back to top Go down

Smudge's recovery
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Health & Illness-
Jump to: