Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:20 pm

I was looking for info on guinea pigs since tgpf is down when I came across this. I can't understand what this person is doing. Is it meat or an addiction to breeding. I hate to see things like this.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/rabbits/440110-guinea-pigs-meat-13.html
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:43 pm

From what I can gather there is not a lot of meat on a guinea pig and they are time consuming to pluck as they have hair not fur so not sure why anyone would want to eat them. I'm a veggie anyway and have been for 20 years but meats meat to some people.
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:46 pm

Me too, I didn't think it was a done thing, but it saddens me to find it's actually true. I don't get it, but then that's because I love Harry & George so much that there is no way I could eat them. It's baffling the things you can find. I will be more careful in future to think about my search terms.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:49 pm

People eat humans still so guinea pigs nothing sadly Sad
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:45 am

They're still a big part of the diet in South America, especially Peru. There's been a few exploration documentaries on TV in the last year which showed them cooking guinea pigs. The most recent was a Kate Humble program. I wouldn't personally eat a guinea pig but in those countries it's the same as us eating chicken.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?   

Back to top Go down

Do people seriously breed guinea pigs for meat?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Chat Zone :: Guinea Pig Chat-
Jump to: