Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:48 pm

Oh I'll not give any more frozen! At least they haven't had too much of it. I'll go shopping to get some bits and hopefully they will like it. Better safe than sorry, at least I found out in time. Thanks everyone. Will also cut down on the redigrass.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:55 pm

Mine only get readigrass / graze on once or twice a week and only in a small amounts Smile
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:58 pm

Can you tell me roughly what a small amount is? A handful? I have 20kg!! It should last a very long time if I only give it to them 2 x a week. Thanks for the tips.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:01 pm

A give a small handful between two and a large handful between 3 Smile
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:07 pm

I will just give them 2 handfuls between them on a Monday and Friday when I do the full cage clean. I wish I had known, I only got it because I read somewhere that you can do away with hay using it. I didn't do that, I just gave a hay rack of both redigrass and hay. So glad I fount the forum. I have learnt a lot today. Going to tesco tomorrow to get the veggies and salad from fresh, will prepare it all and bag it into portions to make it easier and to ensure they get a mix of different things. Obviously I can't do that with some of the things and can only do a few days worth at a time. Again thanks so much for the tips and advice.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:32 pm

That's the good thing about forums you can learn loads I have kept piggies for 20 years and still learning, you never stop Smile
Back to top Go down
Nicola_1

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:52 pm

degu_rock wrote:

Mine have a mix the base mix is cucumber, peppers, celery, mixed salad leaves and then I add a mixture of the following alternating so not fed everyday broccoli, green beans, baby corn or corn cobs, beetroot, carrot, pea pods, cauli leaves, kale, spring greens, cabbage although they prefer savoy to other types, butternut squash, courgette, sweet potato, fruit (apple, pear, orange, strawberry, raspberry, tomato) and I also add herbs like coriander (this can be fed daily), basil, parsley, mint, dill, pretty sure theres some other stuff I have missed but it gives you a general idea.

Broccoli is fine to feed just not in huge amounts as gassy. Corn in general is fattening so should only be fed once or twice a week max. I tend to go to supermarkets stuff is on offer at so at moment I shop between aldi and asda as they have the cheapest offers Wink
Thank you! Mine seem to dislike peppers, is there anything else I can feed daily with good vitamin C content instead? I'd hoped that could have been a staple for them! Mad

Last edited by The Highway Man on Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed quote. ;))
Back to top Go down
Nicola_1

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:53 pm

Oops, sorry - that didn't work very well! I'm so rubbish at this!
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 am

Brocolli, parsley, carrot, cauliflower, kale, cabbage, tomatoes, sweet potato, strawberries, orange all have vit c in them and can all be mixed up over a weekly period (there are loads more too)
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:58 am

So I have bought the following,
strawberries, raspberries & apples (sparingly). celery, cucumber, peppers, coriander, kale, carrot, cress, romaine lettuce, parsley, and tomato's (every few days). Wow this is going to be expensive! I am on a mission this week to figure out what they like.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm

I have 22 guinea pigs and they all have their favourite items Smile
Back to top Go down
helen105281

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:54 pm

Mine are on an IC diet so only have coriander, cucumber and celery on a daily basis with occasional spring greens and the odd treat of carrot or Kale but very occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Nicola_1

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:56 pm

suzyhenke wrote:
So I have bought the following,
strawberries, raspberries & apples (sparingly). celery, cucumber, peppers, coriander, kale, carrot, cress, romaine lettuce, parsley, and tomato's (every few days). Wow this is going to be expensive! I am on a mission this week to figure out what they like.
Good luck! I'm looking forward to the day I just know what to get them and what to put in their bowl without stressing about it!

degu_rock wrote:
Wow - 22!!! And to think I'm stressing about what 2 piggies like/don't like!!

My big concern now is whether I'm giving them too many veggies - is that possible?
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:09 pm

degu_rock wrote:
Oh my goodness, I bet you have a busy day! I find looking after just 2 takes a lot of time. Good luck to you, you must be very dedicated. I may get another herd started in the very very far future when I have come to grips and have gotten to know the ins and outs of G.P. They are so lovely and I am in love with my boys. I will adopt or rescue in the future though. It's a shame that not enough people know about it and the needs of guinea pigs. Since discovering TGPF I can honestly say I have learned something new every day.

I too look forward to the day when I can go food shopping and know instantly what to buy for my boys. It's just like having kids! I don't mind though as I'm enjoying learning. I must call my brother in law, he's an exotic vet. I haven't spoken to him in ages. Thanks everyone for opening my eyes and some really useful info that I am totally grateful for.
Back to top Go down
Sue G

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:27 pm

suzyhenke wrote:
.......... I must call my brother in law, he's an exotic vet. I haven't spoken to him in ages.
How wonderful to have a vet in the family, particularly an exotic vet.
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:43 pm

It would be even better if he lived nearby! But that being said, he does visit a lot and is only on the other end of the phone. At least I get pet medication at cost price though and free check ups! It will save a fortune.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   

Back to top Go down

What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Diet-
Jump to: