Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
suzyhenke

PostSubject: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:37 pm

As a new guinea pig owner I have really struggled with finding the right veggies to give them and how much. So was wondering how much veg you give your piggies each day and what the favorites are. Mine only seem to like peas, carrot, broccoli and sweetcorn. They turned their noses up at cauliflower and rocket! They have redi-grass and hay, as much as they want although don't seem that interested in too much since I changed them to the Trixie hay rack. They seem to like the supreme science nuggets. They have around a cup each of a mixture of veg in the morning and it's all gone before the morning.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:51 pm

Mine get breakfast which usually consists of some greens like cabbage or cauliflower leaves (they don't like the flower) and sometimes cucumber or celery then at night they all have a veggie bowl with a base of veg like cucumber, celery, peppers, broccoli, mixed leaves and then I alternate between adding two of the following, sweet corn, kale, carrot, pea pods, green beans, sweet potato, squash, courgette, beetroot, herbs, tomato, fruit (apple, pear, orange, raspberry, strawberry). Hay is important might be the hayrack putting them off Wink
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:54 pm

degu_rock wrote:
Hay is important might be the hayrack putting them off Wink
What hay rack would you recommend? I don't like to leave it on the floor as they then tend to pee on it. They took it fine with the old cage hay bale thing, but it doesn't fit the c&c cage. Should I try getting a large bowl do you think? I did make a hay ball yesterday (made entirely of redigrass and hay) and they have had a little of it.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:03 pm

I have hay racks that fit inside the C&C cages, type in hay mangers on ebay and they are the green folding ones Smile They don't take up too much space so I have them dotted around Smile Also hay trays (cat litter trays) work well too, I put soft hay at the bottom for them to sit on and then through their eating hay on top,  they sleep in it as well as eat it :)I also stuff tubes with it so then have to chew the tubes to get to the hay Smile
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:09 pm

Thanks, I found a c&c one, it's basically a c&c grid that is bent and is sold as a hay rack. Hope this will work. x
Back to top Go down
theoretikos

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:23 pm

The £ shops usually have cat litter trays if you are in the UK x
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:32 pm

I get my trays from a local hardware shop for 89p beats poundland lol x
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:58 pm

oops! I paid about £4 on eBay! That will teach me to shop around. I tried the litter tray idea but all they did was sleep on it. They have eaten loads today and made up for it in anycase. Hopefully the new rack I bought will help.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:41 am

Mine get a variety of veggies, usually at least 6 of the following twice a day:-
Lettuce, Carrot, Cucumber, Pepper, Tomato, Celery, Kale, Cauli, Brocolli, Cabbage, Melon & sweet corn (a complete one per cage). I also use cat lit trays for hay. I put a newspaper in the bottom followed by bedding (Fitch at present) then topped with hay. They have one each but don't always use the same one & use them as beds insead of houses.
Back to top Go down
klee

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:24 am

Mine normally have a variety of veggies a day, and then there is something to suit each piggies taste. Normally it is a mixture of: celery, cucumber, lettuce/lettuce mix, cherry tomatoes ( especially for Tia), celeriac, chicory, brocolli which they love but only a small amount, cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, parsnips, melon and occasionally they get a slither of apple/pear/peach each depending on what I have for brekfast. They have been having sweetcorn in husks as a treat, but they mostly just get the husks and i have the corn.
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:56 am

I have tried mine on leafy lettuce, celery some fruits and other veggies, but all they seem interested in is carrots and garden peas. They didn't even like peppers! I did try a cherry tomato and it did go so maybe I could feed them peas carrot broccoli and tomato? It would be nice to give them different things though. It's not for lack of trying, they have 4 bowls. 1 for supreme science pellets, one with dandelion hay, a small one for fresh broccoli, cauliflower and rocket, and then they have a large bowl with carrot, peas and sweetcorn. They also have unlimited redi-grass and hay.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:22 pm

mine love cucumber and celery have you tried that?
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:57 pm

Celery was not very welcome, they didn't touch it. I will try cucumbers next week with tomato. Alongside the pea addiction! I tried to give them a tiny bit of banana today, they were terrified of it! They were running around it and away from it. What's with that?
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:26 pm

Beetroot might be liked as they like carrots found any piggy who loves carrots love beetroot Smile
Back to top Go down
Mrs sport_billy

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:46 pm

suzyhenke wrote:
Celery was not very welcome, they didn't touch it. I will try cucumbers next week with tomato. Alongside the pea addiction! I tried to give them a tiny bit of banana today, they were terrified of it! They were running around it and away from it. What's with that?
Cookies terrified of bananas and the runs away from them. Those pesky bananas you never know when they are going to attack! Keep trying with the new veg, you might find that after they get used to it they will gladly eat it.
Back to top Go down
Nicola_1

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:54 pm

This is exactly the question I was just coming on here to ask! Rather than starting a new thread I just thought I'd add my questions here if that's ok?

I spent ages going round the veg aisle in Asda last night trying to figure out what to buy! I ended up going for a bag of mixed leaves - red chard, lambs lettuce, apollo lettuce and grated beetroot - it seemed to go down well. I couldn't figure out which mixes were ok and which weren't (other than obviously the ones with iceberg lettuce were not ok), anyone got any recommendations? (doesn't need to be Asda as I'm near pretty much every supermarket imaginable). I also got some green peppers (they don't seem to like the red, here's hoping green goes down better), coriander, dill, cherry tomatoes and baby corn.

So far they seem to be showing a preference for broccoli and baby corn but I've heard these should only be fed on occasion? With cucumber they've been nibbling the peel from round the edge and leaving the middle bits!

My main concern is getting suitable veggies for them that I can buy in an amount that won't spoil before it's all used up; I don't eat veg so anything I'm buying is just for them. Has anyone got any good recommendations in this instance? I'm particularly concerned with foods that should just be fed in moderation.

I've also had an issue with them not eating so much hay (that I can tell) but I'm thinking it's maybe not good quality so off to buy some timothy hay for them tomorrow - hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks

Nicola

P.S. sorry that was such a long post!Embarassed 
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:06 pm

Mine like meadow hay and redigrass so I have a rack of each. Plus I have a bowl of the dandelion mix. They don't seem to like the dandelion mix though which is a shame as it was pricey. I still put it down every day though. They do eat the redigrass first before touching the hay so think I'm going to mix the 2 together. I'm having the same issue with keeping stuff fresh as I can only go shopping once a week. I do use frozen veg towards the end of the week but would proffer to buy stuff that will keep.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 pm

I am not sure anybody else has said this but piggies should not have peas. Yours may like herbs. Mine enjoy dill,mint,parsley,basil and a bit of corriender.
Back to top Go down
Dancegal

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:36 pm

Mine have always enjoyed Lettuce, parsley, cucumber, carrot, peppers, tomatoes and fine green beans
Back to top Go down
suzyhenke

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:57 pm

I read that peas were safe! Need to look up that one.
Back to top Go down
Sue G

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:00 pm

I thought frozen veg weren't good? And I was also advised to give readigrass just as a treat.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:03 pm

Sue G wrote:
I thought frozen veg weren't good?  And I was also advised to give readigrass just as a treat.
Guinea pigs must never be given frozen anything. The bacteria on it is dangerous. Redigrass is to be used as a treat as it is high in calcium.
Back to top Go down
Dancegal

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:13 pm

i give fine green beans and are safe but not sure about peas in a pod. yes readigrass as a treat as can cause bladder stones and no frozen veg
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:18 pm

I just read all this and saw you feed frozen vegetables. You must never do that as it contains additives and the process creates bacteria. Sorry for not reading thoroughly before.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Peas in a pod are fine in a small amount but frozen should never be fed due to the bacteria.

Nicola_1 wrote:
This is exactly the question I was just coming on here to ask! Rather than starting a new thread I just thought I'd add my questions here if that's ok?

I spent ages going round the veg aisle in Asda last night trying to figure out what to buy! I ended up going for a bag of mixed leaves - red chard, lambs lettuce, apollo lettuce and grated beetroot - it seemed to go down well.  I couldn't figure out which mixes were ok and which weren't (other than obviously the ones with iceberg lettuce were not ok), anyone got any recommendations? (doesn't need to be Asda as I'm near pretty much every supermarket imaginable).  I also got some green peppers (they don't seem to like the red, here's hoping green goes down better), coriander, dill, cherry tomatoes and baby corn.

So far they seem to be showing a preference for broccoli and baby corn but I've heard these should only be fed on occasion?  With cucumber they've been nibbling the peel from round the edge and leaving the middle bits!

My main concern is getting suitable veggies for them that I can buy in an amount that won't spoil before it's all used up; I don't eat veg so anything I'm buying is just for them.  Has anyone got any good recommendations in this instance? I'm particularly concerned with foods that should just be fed in moderation.

I've also had an issue with them not eating so much hay (that I can tell) but I'm thinking it's maybe not good quality so off to buy some timothy hay for them tomorrow - hopefully that'll do the trick.

Thanks

Nicola

P.S. sorry that was such a long post!Embarassed 
Mine have a mix the base mix is cucumber, peppers, celery, mixed salad leaves and then I add a mixture of the following alternating so not fed everyday broccoli, green beans, baby corn or corn cobs, beetroot, carrot, pea pods, cauli leaves, kale, spring greens, cabbage although they prefer savoy to other types, butternut squash, courgette, sweet potato, fruit (apple, pear, orange, strawberry, raspberry, tomato) and I also add herbs like coriander (this can be fed daily), basil, parsley, mint, dill, pretty sure theres some other stuff I have missed but it gives you a general idea.

Broccoli is fine to feed just not in huge amounts as gassy. Corn in general is fattening so should only be fed once or twice a week max. I tend to go to supermarkets stuff is on offer at so at moment I shop between aldi and asda as they have the cheapest offers Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?   

Back to top Go down

What fresh veggies do your piggies enjoy? And how much do you give?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Diet-
Jump to: