Guinea Pig Chat

Guinea Pig Chat

Back up forum for www.theguineapigforum.co.uk

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
This is the temporary home of The Guinea Pig Forum whilst the main forum is undergoing a server transfer.

Share | 

Minky has a skin problem!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
stewybus

PostSubject: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 12:10 pm

Hi, I wonder if there's someone on line at present who has more knowledge than me of skin problems. I checked Minky last night & noticed what looked like scratch or bite marks & a bald area near the top of her front leg. On a human it would be the armpit area. I used a cotton bud with a little witch hazel which is good for sterilizing wounds & to bring down swelling. I looked again this morning Y there seems to be more red marks & a little area that looks a little swollen. I checked her over thoroughly & also noticed that her nipples were bigger than normal & there seems to be a rash of some typew along the top edge. Here's some photos that hopefully will show you what I mean:-

The pictures aren't fantastic but if anyone can help, please let me know. Sorry, I just found out that new members can't post external links for 7 days. If anyone thinks they can help, please email me on stewybus at ntlworld dot com & I'll send pics. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:10 pm

I know female piggies can get hormonal problems, i have dealt with allsorts of skin problems but i only have males, I would personally get her looked at by a vet to be sure as you mentioned swelling and a rash, is she itchy at all?
Back to top Go down
helen105281

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:08 pm

Just sent you an email.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:08 pm

helen105281 wrote:
Just sent you an email.
Hi Helen, I've just sent an email with pics. I've just got from the vets who have prescribed a flea treatment such as invermectin. I have Beafor Spot On so I've just applied a pipette. They also prescribed Baytril which I should mix with a little fruit juice & give her twice a day. Finally they said to give her a pro-biotic which I also have, Bio-Lapis. The doseage on the packet seems a lot as it says 1 sachet to 50ml of water fed by 1ml syringe which would mean 50 fill ups. Is this what others are used to?
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:16 pm

I use pro-c probiotic at the moment as was what was on hand when i needed some asap and that's one scoop to 200ml water, but I mix up a small amount at a time (probably about 100ml water) and throw it away after 24 hours and syringe it an hour and a half after giving antibiotics.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:26 pm

degu_rock wrote:
I use pro-c probiotic at the moment as was what was on hand when i needed some asap and that's one scoop to 200ml water, but I mix up a small amount at a time (probably about 100ml water) and throw it away after 24 hours and syringe it an hour and a half after giving antibiotics.
The vet has told me to give the Baytril on a morning & evening. She's said to give the probiotic mid-day. I'll mix one sachet now & give her some then give her some more tomorrow then throw rest of that batch away if it only has a small shelp life when mixed then do the same Monday & Tuesday. How much did you give at a time? I'll maybe google it & see if I can find more info.
Back to top Go down
Jesss

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:32 pm

Poor Minky hopefully the mending can start ASAP! My Maple is on the mend she's developed dermatitis and eventually she opened up her rump end. Vet prescribed bath twice a week, bactroban ointment once daily and Baytril twice daily... Once her rump healed all nicely she scratched her back up! So tempted to find some paw gloves for her to wear until she's all healed!
Back to top Go down
sport_billy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:28 pm

stewybus wrote:
Hi, I wonder if there's someone on line at present who has more knowledge than me of skin problems. I checked Minky last night & noticed what looked like scratch or bite marks & a bald area near the top of her front leg. On a human it would be the armpit area. I used a cotton bud with a little witch hazel which is good for sterilizing wounds & to bring down swelling. I looked again this morning Y there seems to be more red marks & a little area that looks a little swollen. I checked her over thoroughly & also noticed that her nipples were bigger than normal & there seems to be a rash of some typew along the top edge. Here's some photos that hopefully will show you what I mean:-

The pictures aren't fantastic but if anyone can help, please let me know. Sorry, I just found out that new members can't post external links for 7 days. If anyone thinks they can help, please email me on stewybus at ntlworld dot com & I'll send pics. Thanks.

Poor Minky Sad Hope she feels better soon

Sorry about the uploading pics thing, will look at changing that for you Stewy. You can post the IMG Code off photobucket like on TGPF for photos
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:36 pm

Poor Minky :(Hope she feels better soon

Sorry about the uploading pics thing, will look at changing that for you Stewy. You can post the IMG Code off photobucket like on TGPF for photos[/quote]
Hi Lee, I tried that but it wouldn't let me go any further till I deleted it. It said something like "you can't add external links till you've been a member for 7 days. Wouldn't let me add email in normal way but I got round that. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:41 pm

Jesss wrote:
Poor Minky hopefully the mending can start ASAP! My Maple is on the mend she's developed dermatitis and eventually she opened up her rump end. Vet prescribed bath twice a week, bactroban ointment once daily and Baytril twice daily... Once her rump healed all nicely she scratched her back up! So tempted to find some paw gloves for her to wear until she's all healed!
It does look more like dermatitus or some form of eczema. I feel I should be applying cream but vet said no. I'll clip her nails tomorrow to try to make it less bad if she does scratch herself. Still not convinced it may be one of the other piggies having a go either.
Back to top Go down
sport_billy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:49 pm

Sorted the photo link thing buddy.
Back to top Go down
sport_billy
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Poor Minky has been through it this year. Helen is amazing with skin issues. I hope you can get Minky cleared up soon, good news there is nothing on the others. Puts you on high alert doesn't it...
Back to top Go down
Boss Hogg
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:58 pm

If anyone else has problems posting pictures, you can pm either of us admins and we'll insert them for you. Wink
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:03 pm

sport_billy wrote:

Sorted the photo link thing buddy.
Thanks Lee. Helen has emailed the pics to a friend who may be able to help. Here's the pics so anyone else might recognise the problem:-

Back to top Go down
helen105281

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:51 pm

Karen is on the case Lee, as I think it may be fungal but want her opinion.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:31 pm

helen105281 wrote:
Karen is on the case Lee, as I think it may be fungal but want her opinion.
Thanks, Helen. I've just checked Minky over, cleaned & cut her nails so there will be no chance of infection if she draws blood when she's scratching. The area beneath her neck by top of front leg (equivalent to our arm pit) has dried up & the red marrks have gone but the area around her nipples is looking redder & there's a couple of marks where blood has been. I've given her Baytril & 2ml of Bio-Lapis. She's eating OK so left her to settle down for the night & will check her again first thing in the morning.
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:38 pm

I think it looks like fungal too as looks crusty, I've had a bad case of it with a rescue piggy myself this year and its taken 6 months but he is finally clear, I used gorgeous guineas products with agreement from my vet, if caught early its easier to clear up. A top tip to stop them scratching and making it worse is to cut the nails short and cover them with tape, also a bandage or an old sock made into a little vest works wonders.

Regards the probiotic I give 0.5ml at a time I time it about an hour and a half after the antibiotics. Morning and night and sometimes I give a little inbetween the times, doesn't harm them as full of vit c. Never had tummy problems yet Smile
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:04 am

degu_rock wrote:
I think it looks like fungal too as looks crusty, I've had a bad case of it with a rescue piggy myself this year and its taken 6 months but he is finally clear, I used gorgeous guineas products with agreement from my vet, if caught early its easier to clear up. A top tip to stop them scratching and making it worse is to cut the nails short and cover them with tape, also a bandage or an old sock made into a little vest works wonders.

Regards the probiotic I give 0.5ml at a time I time it about an hour and a half after the antibiotics. Morning and night and sometimes I give a little inbetween the times, doesn't harm them as full of vit c. Never had tummy problems yet Smile
I think you may be right. I've just checked Minky & the area around her nipples seems OK. I think she has been in season which may explain the tenderness there.

The area that was bad yesterday is very red & sore looking this morning. Looks painful. I've taken 2 more pics & couldn't leave it so I've applied a little Savlon & will check again after breakfast. At present Minky is in with her 4 companions who on examination yesterday appear to be OK. Today is cleaning out day  and they all get also get their weekly checks. Should Minky be isolated. I have a problem at present as my 2 spare cages are been used for fostering. I only have a small wooden cage which is only about 2ft x 1ft spare or I could bring the outdoor run in & put it on the floor. Anyway here's the latest pics. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:31 am

Has anyone used Canesten Cream to treat fungal. I've just seen this link:-
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:QUX4kyFz3tsJ:www.rodentswithattitude.co.uk/forum/showthread.php%3Ft%3D188+fungal+manuka+%22guinea+pig%22&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk
Back to top Go down
degu_rock

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:59 am

The thread not open but i have used Canesten 1% cream and it has cleared up small spots of fungal, there is loads of info on google. If its only small then the cream should work if its spread bathing is the next option, as you need to soften the crusts and remove as much infected hair as possible to knock it on its head. Fungal (and I refer to normal fungal not ring worm) tends to not spread as it affects those who have a lowered immune system so I believe Minky has recently been through a lot so hence why she might have it now. I don't isolate unless i need to so I would leave Minky where she is at present, the only thing I do is make sure there is good airflow (which I do as standard anyway) to stop fungal spores growing. The best thing is to stop her scratching at it, I find surgical tape over the nails on the back feet help and for chewers an old sock or a bandage covering the area to allow it to heal up.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:19 am

degu_rock wrote:
The thread not open but i have used Canesten 1% cream and it has cleared up small spots of fungal, there is loads of info on google. If its only small then the cream should work if its spread bathing is the next option, as you need to soften the crusts and remove as much infected hair as possible to knock it on its head. Fungal (and I refer to normal fungal not ring worm) tends to not spread as it affects those who have a lowered immune system so I believe Minky has recently been through a lot so hence why she might have it now. I don't isolate unless i need to so I would leave Minky where she is at present, the only thing I do is make sure there is good airflow (which I do as standard anyway) to stop fungal spores growing. The best thing is to stop her scratching at it, I find surgical tape over the nails on the back feet help and for chewers an old sock or a bandage covering the area to allow it to heal up.
I got the thread by going onto google & accessing the cached webpage. You can get most old thread from TGPF by doing that. Google keeps a copy of every web page.

I'm going out to get some canesen now & a bit of roll type bandage that you'd use on an arm or leg. We've already got some good surgical tape & see if I can get Minky treated before lunch. I'll keep updating as I have more news. Thanks to everyone who offering help or just looking in.
Back to top Go down
helen105281

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:48 am

Have just replied to your email. Karen believes it is a combination of mites and fungal with a possible underlying hormonal issue which needs investigating. Treatment she has suggested is to continue the ourse of mite treatment at the vets by injection or orally. Also Povidone Iodine for the area under the armpit which will keep it clean but also treat an early fungal issue and also a different cream for the nipple area called Kamillosan Ointment.
Back to top Go down
stewybus

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:26 pm

Thanks a lot, Helen. Have already began treatment with Canesten but will get the other items for my medicine box & get my vet to do further investigating.
Back to top Go down
Smudge

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:50 pm

I hope Minky recovers soon - is it possible that she is biting at it and making it worse like my Smudge was doing?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Minky has a skin problem!   

Back to top Go down

Minky has a skin problem!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Guinea Pig Chat :: Guinea Pig Welfare :: Health & Illness-
Jump to: